Since none of us would dare play truth or dare with Madonna, we opted for a game of 40 questions instead. We randomly called YM readers, too their best questions and convinced the workaholic material girl to take a break from her frantic schedule (a new album, Erotica; a new book, Sex, and a new movie, Body of Evidence) to lay her answers on us. Read all about what she had to say on life, sex, finding the right guy and fighting her fat phobia.
01. At what point in your career did you feel like you were a success?
I’ve never reached that point.
02. What are the three most unusual things about you?
My mental strength, my emotional resilience, my appetite for sweets.
03. Do you worry about being overexposed?
Only at the gynecologist’s.
04. How do you find the courage to do things that so many people find unacceptable?
I was wounded at a very young age.
05. What’s your best position in baseball?
On the bus, afterward.
05. How do you get along with your father? What does he think about your work and your life?
I get along with him very well. He tolerates my work and loves me no matter what I do.
06. What inspired your latest album and its title?
07. What kind of music and talents do you want to promote with your new record company, Maverick?
Cutting-edge, ground breaking stuff.
08. What do you really think of Courtney Love, who has said you’ve tried to copy her?
Who is Courtney Love?
09. What is the sexiest book you’ve ever read?
Marquerite Dura’s The Lover.
10. How do you feel about unauthorized biographies?
I feel nothing.
11. Who did you vote for president?
12. Who do you wish would have run for president?
13. Do you think American society has lost its values, like Dan Quale says?
I think American society has lot its sense of humor.
14. You do a lot of charity work. What do you think is the most important issue for young people today to address?
Knowledge is power, and the more you know, the more you grow. Staying in school, getting into books and pursuing interests are all part of it.
16. What world problem would you cure if you could?
17. What is your workout routine?
Two and a half hours of hell.
18. How do you make yourself exercise on days when you really don’t feel like it?
I think about being fat.
19. Do you have any recurring dreams?
I always dream about being betrayed.
20. Who’s your best friend in the whole world?
21. If you were a man, who would you be?
The Spanish guy who won the gold medal in swimming. Or Marlon Brando when he was young.
22. Why are you so interested in sex?
Why is anybody? Why are you?
23. Have you ever pushed the limits too far? Do you have any regrets?
Je ne regrette rien! [Translation: I regret nothing.]
24. Now that you’re as famous as the original Madonna, what would you say to her if you met her?
“Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee, blessed are thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.”
25. How would you describe your new album?
There’s lots of up-tempo dance songs, some tear-jerking ballads- it’s sexy and fun, and I’m very proud of it.
26. What would you do if you were stood up on a date?
Call up my girlfriends and get together with them and bitch about it.
27. Here’s a checklist of things to look for in a guy – which do you think is important?
Cute: Not important.
Tall: Not important.
Short and slight: Not important.
Caring and sharing: Extremely important.
Rich: Not necessary as long as he can pay his own rent.
Smart: Extremely important.
Sensitive: Extremely important.
Sexy: Extremely important.
Cool: If he has all of the above, he is cool.
Good dancer: Not necessary, but always an extra added plus.
Good dresser: Same as above.
Fabulous car: As long as it’s clean with a good stereo.
Muscles: A good body is very important.
28. Can a woman be beautiful at 50?
29. If you were stranded on a desert Island with just a TV and a VCR, what would you watch?
I hate TV, so it would definitely be movies: East of Eden, Last Tango in Paris, Casablanca, Breathless.
30. What do you think about teenagers’ having sexual fantasies?
This is absolutely normal and should be encouraged. A good fantasy life is very important for creativity.
31. Should parents allow their children to read you book, Sex? Why? Or why not?
I think they should be at least 15 or 16. Otherwise, I don’t think they’d understand it.
32. What do you think of guys who kiss and tell?
Total losers, big turnoff!
33. What could George Bush learn if he read your book and listened to your music?
Probably nothing – he seems very closed-minded.
34. Would you ever have an affair with a married man?
This is a dead-end situation.
35. Why do kids find Marilyn Monroe so fascinating?
Aside from the fact that she’s shoved down our throat, she has a beautiful, fragile, childlike quality.
36. What do you think of people who have never changed their hair color?
They probably have very healthy hair.
37. What’s with the gold tooth?
I’m a Leo, and I love gold. It’s jewelry, it’s an ornament, it’s just in my mouth instead of on my ear.
38. If you were back in high school and Luke Perry sat next to you in class, would you be able to concentrate?
Depends on how cute the teacher was.
39. What do you do to snap out of a depression?
I eat candy. I talk to a good friend. I shop.
40. What are you going to do for the rest of the day?
Work. Work. Work.
41. What do you think of MTV?
I don’t know. I don’t watch TV.
42. What’s your new movie about?
Can a body be a murder weapon? Can you kill someone with love?
© YM Magazine