POP queen Madonna took centre stage to entertain children with a reading from her new book.
Pupils from St Winifred’s Junior School in Newstead Road, Lee, were invited to the launch of the superstar’s book, The Adventures Of Abdi, on Thursday last week.
Madonna read the entire story to them at Selfridges department store in central London, followed by a question and answer session.
She thanked headteacher Mark Corrigan for the youngsters’ excellent behaviour.
He said: “The children were excited and nervous before the event but once we arrived Madonna soon made them feel at ease.”
He also thanked Penguin Books for allowing them to attend.
source : icnetwork.co.uk
The new Band Aid 20 video is about to be shown for the first time – with pop queen Madonna expected to remind people “none of us can forget”.
Do They Know It’s Christmas? is tipped to be the seasonal Number One.
The single is now available to download and the tune is also being launched as a charity ringtone with proceeds going to the Band Aid trust.
Mycokemusic.com said it was putting on its website with all profits donated to charity.
Madonna, who performed at the American Live Aid gig in 1985, is expected to say: “I performed at Live Aid. You saw me and my generation demanding a change. Once again, here we are and more people die of hunger in Africa than war and Aids put together.
“Bob Geldof and his friends are here to remind you that none of us can forget. Not ever. Feed the world. I am honoured to introduce Band Aid 20.”
U2 frontman Bono won the battle to belt out “And Tonight Thank God it’s Them Instead of You” as he did two decades ago. Coldplay’s Chris Martin, singers Dido and Robbie Williams have the opening lines of the song.
The Sugababes, Fran Healy from Travis, Justin Hawkins from The Darkness, Will Young, Jamelia and Ms Dynamite are also on board.
source : itv
Madonna has urged American President George W Bush to study the Kabbalah to make him a better leader.
The spiritual Material Girl is convinced the mystical Jewish teachings would give Bush and British Prime Minister Tony Blair an improved outlook on the world, in light of their handling of the war in Iraq.
When asked by CNN what she would like to change, she replied: “To get George Bush to study Kabbalah. Yes. It would be amazing.”
When CNN host Richard Quest suggested: “Maybe Tony Blair could join him?” Madonna enthusiastically responded: “That’s a very good idea.”
source : breakingnews.iol.ie
Superstar Madonna is adapting her debut children’s book The English Roses into a film.
The Material Girl penned the moral tale last year (03), about young bullies Nicole, Amy, Charlotte and Grace tormenting lonely, but beautiful Binah. But, after a visit from a fairy godmother, they soon see the error of their ways and make friends with her.
According to American gossip site The Scoop, Madonna is hoping to start production on the big screen version of the story this year (04).
source : contactmusic
Music fans have voted former Beatle John Lennon the greatest rock and roll icon of all time.
The star, who was assassinated in 1980, saw off competition from Elvis Presley and David Bowie to top the list of 100 voted for by readers of Q magazine.
In a special tribute to him published in the magazine his widow Yoko Ono said he was a “driven man” who “changed people’s awareness in an incredible way”.
She continued: “He was not afraid to tell the truth and thus give us a clearer picture of what was really going on. Indeed, it is not an exaggeration to say that there was a world before John and the world after.”
The top 10 music icons as voted for by readers of Q magazine were:
1. John Lennon 2. Elvis Presley 3. David Bowie 4. Keith Richards 5. Kurt Cobain 6. Madonna 7. Bono 8. Bob Marley 9. Joe Strummer 10. Bob Dylan
source : itv.com
Joni Mitchell, Noam Chomsky, Madonna, Muhammad Ali, Sarah Jessica Parker, The Pixies, Spongebob, Green Day, Robin Williams and Magic Johnson — these are just some of the celebrities that have donated one-of-a-kind memorabilia to People for the American Way’s (PFAW) annual “Auction for the American Way.” The auction will take place on eBay from Sunday, November 28 to December 5 and will benefit PFAW’s ongoing efforts to promote free speech, civil rights, and religious liberty.
“Artists, authors and entertainers rely on freedom of speech every day,” said People For the American Way President Ralph G. Neas. “That’s why so many of them are supporting our work to protect freedom of artistic expression and the right to dissent, precious liberties that are in severe danger of being eroded in the current political climate. We are deeply grateful for everyone who is helping us promote and protect the constitutional principles of privacy, equality under the law, and freedom of thought, expression, and religion.”
The perfect holiday gift is on this year’s eBay Auction for the American Way:
-The drama queen or king in your life can win a walk-on part on TV’s WILL & GRACE or JOEY;
-Fashionistas will adore the Chloe dress worn by Sarah Jessica Parker’s “Carrie” on Sex in the City;
-For the music fans on your list, bid on autographed items including Madonna’s Ray of Light Platinum album customized with the winner’s name, Pearl Jam’s poster from their 2003 tour, Rod Stewart’s Human CD, a poster of Justin Timberlake and Christina Aguilera from their Rolling Stone cover, lyrics from Lucinda Williams and signed photos of icons Jerry Garcia, George Harrison and others;
-Signed jerseys from sports icons Carmelo Anthony and Yao Ming;
-The budding documentarian will flip for a month long internship with political documentary producer Robert Greenwald, creator of “Unprecedented,” “Uncovered,” and “Outfoxed”;
-Treat yourself to an amazing and unique experience by spending the day with legendary Nirvana Krist Novoselic, flying on his private plane and enjoying lunch before returning back home;
-Teach someone how to play music on a signed instrument from Maroon 5, Simon and Garfunkel, John Mayer, The Eagles, or Blondie;
-Add the renowned political artists Robbie Conal or Shepard Fairey’s latest works to your collection or someone else’s;
-Add to your best friend’s library an autographed book from Guy Oseary, Dennis Weaver, David Brock, James Carville, Bill Maher, Norman Mailer, Gore Vidal, Greg Palast, George Soros and others.
Support freedom of expression in America by participating in the eBay Auction for the American Way. Proceeds will benefit People For the American Way. Go to www.pfaw.org to preview the dozens of items, then start your bidding on November 28.
source : businesswire.com
Material Girl is featured on a new ‘Chick Flick Diaries: 50 Classic Themes From The Greatest Chick Flicks’ compilation. Release date is November 22.
track listing :
1. Material Girl-Madonna [Bridget Jones: Edge Of Reason]
2. Caught In The Moment-Sugababes [Wimbledon]
3. You’re My First My Last My Everything-Barry White [Bridget Jones: Edge Of Reason]
4. What A Girl Wants-Christina Aguilera [What Women Want]
5. Something To Talk About-Badly Drawn Boy [About A Boy]
6. Independent Women-Destiny’s Child [Charlie’s Angels]
7. Jump-Girls Aloud [Love Actually]
8. Finally-CeCe Peniston [Priscilla Queen Of The Desert]
9. Can’t Fight The Moonlight-Leann Rimes [Coyote Ugly]
10. Praise You-Fatboy Slim [Cruel Intentions]
11. I’m Coming Out-Amerie [Maid In Manhattan]
12. Don’t Need You To Tell Me I’m Pretty-Samantha Mumba [Legally Blonde]
13. It’s In His Kiss (Shoop Shoop Song]-Cher [Mermaids]
14. You’re So Vain-Carly Simon [How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days]
15. I’m Not In Love-10CC [Bridget Jones: Edge Of Reason]
16. Fernando-Abba [Muriel’s Wedding]
17. Up Where We Belong-Joe Cocker & Jennifer Warnes [An Officer & A Gentleman]
1. Wind Beneath My Wings-Bette Midler [Beaches]
2. When You Say Nothing At All-Ronan Keating [Notting Hill]
3. Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow-Amy Winehouse [Bridget Jones Edge Of Reason]
4. Too Lost In You-Sugababes [Love Actually]
5. From The Heart-Another Level [Notting Hill]
6. Out Of Reach-Gabrielle [Bridget Jones’s Diary]
7. How Can You Mend A Broken Heart-Al Green [Notting Hill]
8. Unchained Melody-Righteous Brothers [Ghost]
9. Let’s Get It On-Marvin Gaye [Bridget Jones Edge Of Reason]
10. All By Myself-Jamie O’Neal [Bridget Jones’s Diary]
11. My Girl-The Temptations [My Girl]
12. Wishin’ & Hoping-Dusty Springfield [My Best Friend’s Wedding]
13. Kiss Kiss-Holly Valance [What Women Want]
14. When Doves Cry-Prince [Purple Rain]
15. Pure Shores-All Saints [The Beach]
16. Kiss Me-Sixpence None The Richer [How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days]
17. Fame-Irene Cara [Fame]
1. I Believe In A Thing Called Love-The Darkness [Bridget Jones Edge Of Reason]
2. Love Is All Around-Wet Wet Wet [Four Weddings And A Funeral]
3. Footloose-Kenny Loggins [Footloose]
4. Disco Inferno-The Trammps [Saturday Night Fever]
5. Gloria-Laura Branigan [Flashdance]
6. Big Girls Don’t Cry-Frankie Valli [Dirty Dancing]
7. When The Going Gets Tough-Billy Ocean [The Jewel Of The Nile]
8. Think-Aretha Franklin [Bridget Jones Edge Of Reason]
9. Bad Boy-Miami Sound Machine [3 Men And A Baby]
10. What A Fool Believes-The Doobie Brothers [Frankie & Johnny]
11. Mr Blue Sky-ELO [Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind]
12. Addicted Love-Robert Palmer [Cocktail]
13. I Love To Boogie-T-Rex [Billy Elliot]
14. Let Your Love Flow-The Bellamy Brothers [Along Came Polly]
15. Don’t Get Me Wrong-The Pretenders [Bridget Jones’s Diary]
16. He’s A Dream-Shandi [Flashdance]
French composer Michel Colombier died yesterday after a six month battle with cancer. He was 65. Colombier was one of the most prolific and versatile French musicians of his generation. Besides his career as a film composer, scoring over 100 feature, cable and television films since the early 1960’s, Colombier was a prolific song writer and arranger who worked with artists such as Madonna, Prince, The Beach Boys, Paul Anka, Barbra Streisand and Earth Wind and Fire.
As a film composer, Michel Colombier scored a lot of French and American films, including The Golden Child, Ruthless People, New Jack City, How Stella Got Her Groove Back and The Money Pit. His background in jazz was evident in the majority of his film scores, and his ability to compose original score music that merged seamlessly with pop songs made him the perfect composer for 1980’s films with song-heavy soundtracks, including White Nights, Against All Odds and Purple Rain (which won a Grammy Award as well as an Academy Award for Best Song Score).
source : musicfromthemovies.com